Health is made up of so many different pillars and we often forget that good health involves a good frame of mind. The physical side is simply one element.
So, in order to spread a little calm in these trying times, here are my top tips to finding your inner peace.
1. Breathe - I bang on about the breath so often, but getting your breathing under control is one of the quickest and most effective ways to calm your nervous system. Whenever you find yourself stressed, worried or out of whack, stop... breathe in deeply for 8 seconds, hold for 5 seconds and slowly exhale until all of the air is out of your lungs. Repeat as often as needed and even when you don't think it's needed. Watch your body succumb to the breath.
2. Limit your screen time - that being both the news and social media. Negative news is constantly splashed across our screens. The online world is great for fear mongering. Switch off or limit yourself to 30 minutes a day. I truly believe that we are what we think and feel. If we are constantly lowering our vibrations by buying in to the negatives and forgetting all of the good, our mental health will suffer. They say "you are what you eat" and I believe "you feel what you think."
3. Follow positive accounts - If you don't want to limit your social media use, start following accounts that make you feel good. I follow so many positive accounts. I can't tell you the amount of screen grabs I have in my camera roll of accounts that promote only the good. I am a sucker for a good inspirational quote.
4. Exercise - if you are still in a restricted State, you may not be going outside, but these days you can do anything from the comfort of your own living room. I've been doing my own 20 minute meditation and 30 minute yoga practice each morning. Jump on my YouTube channel or book an online class. Your body and your mind will thank you.
5. Drink hot water - I honestly don't know what it is, but drinking a mug of hot water always seems to calm me. Maybe the concentration it takes to sip hot water directs my focus, I don't know, but it always works. So boil the kettle, grab yourself a mug and slowly sip on nothing but hot water. See how you feel!
6. Take your vitamins - I am taking Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Body Bloom by Tropeaka and Fish Oil by JS Health. I also drink Elderberry and Echinacea tea each day.
7. Practice gratitude - write down 5 things each morning you are grateful for. Gratitude is everything.